Saturday, December 16, 2006




Red Eyed Tree Frog 2 - Part 5
Agalychnis callidryas (amphibian)

I went back and painted more definition on the red leaves.
Then looking at what I'd done I thought I'd 'ruined' it...

So, the canvas stayed in the office for a few days until yesterday when I got the 'creative urge' again - and there was no stopping me... I put in a few hours of concentrated effort and completely forgot to take photos of the progress.

What did I do?...
I decided to give the background a glazed look. Having recently read somewhere about glazing I thought I'd try it on this one since the background covers a large proportion of the canvas...

Glazing is simply a lot of thin layers of colour. Click the link to find out more...
Very easy to do but is Sooooo time consuming.

Another 'trick' I learned about mixing green paint - painting the under-colour blue and then building up layers of thin yellow paint on top of it to produce the required green.
Thankfully I was able to take a pic of the bottom right border of the canvas (which got forgotten about at the time) to show you here. Using BLUE LAKE colour I built up three layers of glaze.
I then used layers of LEMON YELLOW to paint over it to produce the colour you see here...



Now I am off to focus on the frog body and - hopefully - somehow, define the outline from the background...
I have to fix up the right hand side bottom red leaf since some blue lake paint ran and dried on me before I could wipe it all away.
Plus I have to fix up the eyes a bit since some of the glaze got on there too...


Art Expression

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...